About Lone Pine  |  History  |  Location  |  Gallery

The history of the Lone Pine Hotel goes back to 1948 when a bungalow along Batu Ferringhi Beach was turned into a family-run hotel with just 10 rooms, all of which stand to date. The owner, an Australian, Dr Albert S. McKern mistook the solitary casuarina tree he saw there as a pine tree and dubbed the property ‘Lone Pine’. Till now, the lawn of the hotel is well shaded by tall casuarina trees.

The Lone Pine expanded in the 1950s due to demand for more hotel rooms, adding two annexes. Block 1 was a single storey building with eight rooms and Block 2 was a double storey building with another eight rooms. The 1960s saw Block 1 transformed into a double storey building with eight additional rooms. Later on, a small house was demolished and two new blocks of 24 rooms was built on the spot.

During the refurbishment in 2010, an entirely new building was erected with a contemporary look and feel, featuring 50 new deluxe rooms, a reception area, two food and beverage outlets, a board room-style meeting room, games room, a spa, a gym and the administrative office.

The Lone Pine Hotel now has a total of 90 rooms with two new food and beverage outlets: batubar on the ground floor and Matsu, a modern Japanese restaurant on the first floor above batubar.

Returning guests have fond memories of yesteryear and the hotel continues to maintain its charm with celebrants who have attended elegant soirees, wedding dinners, annual dinners and parties here. The Lone Pine continues to charm everyone who walks through its doors with its gracious past carefully nurtured to soothe the soul of any modern day traveller.